Monday, March 16, 2015

Oh Deer

I have a new love....collage quilts !
I've been following the fabulous work of Leslie McNeil from Marveles Art Studio
When I saw the collage quilts she was making...
MY HEART BEGAN TO SING! and I HAD to make one too !
Without a second thought I ordered the pattern and kit by Laura Heine  of Fiberworks in Billings, Montana. I'm usually not much on ordering kits, but I don't have many floral fabrics, so I thought the kit would work best for me.
 Now, I am constantly searching for floral fabrics on line and in stores. 
The basic process is to fuse your fabric on Lite Steam a Seam 2, then cut your flowers out.
  This product works great because when you peel the paper off it's sticky on the back and your pieces will stay in place while you step back and look at your work (exactly why I finally made myself a design wall, see a previous post) You can move it around until you get the placement like you want it, then you heat set it, and quilt the dickens out of it.


The entire time I worked on this quilt I sang "As The Deer" based off Psalm 42:1 
a song I love! and I loved making this quilt !

I hope you'll go check out Leslie's blog. She's giving away a pattern of her own making....Izaak the Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep ! 

Be blessed this week !





23 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, my dear Vickie... your deer is just amazing! I've never done anything like this, but I sure love the results!

Thearica said...

I absolutely adore this!! Now I need to do one! and you know what mine will be. :)

cucki said...

so beautiful xxx

KaHolly said...

Oh, Vickie, it came out gorgeous! I had visited her site, but her pictures are all so small. NOW I see why you were so excited!

shaulap said...

I love your Oh Deer quilt! Fiberworks was my favorite booth at Houston. I am working on Freida and have several other of the patterns at the shop. I hope you're entering yours in the Abilene show! I'd love to see it in person! PS I noticed you quilted it in Laura's style! Love it!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Love this collage...like that you quilt the heck out of it, but do you applique around the flower pieces too ?

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Vickie I have been a follower of Leslie for a long time. She does beautiful work, especially her quilting! I have seen all the different animal collages she has made too. They look fun. I did a few fabric collages several years ago, but no animals or things just a collage. Looks like you had fun with your deer collage. Enjoy making more collages. Your deer is lovely.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wow!! I love your beautiful deer!! It's so beautiful the way she is made from flowers against the neutral background. Steam a seam is magical stuff, I've used it for a few projects. Thanks for introducing me to Leslie's work, I'll pop over to her website for a look.

Rachaeldaisy said...

I can so see why you are collecting big florals - those flower animals are amazing!!

Nancy C. said...

Ahhhhh-mazing! Beautiful work, Vickie!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Wow! Totally gorgeous! blessings, marlene

Lana said...

Vickie....That is the MOST beautiful quilt I have ever seen! This is CONTEST MAGAZINE WORTHY! Please submit this somewhere TODAY!
AWESOME JOB!
WOW!

Carla said...

Yep, I've been thinking of this. WOW. Love it Miss Vickie!!!!! This really gets my creative juices flowing. Buying a kit is a perfect start to a lot more of these. Ideas are swimming in my head. Hubby has been working on a 10 foot cowboy using metal scraps and it's the same concept only with metal. LOVE IT!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh my that is wonderful! Love how it looks, and the colors. Looks like loads of fun to do also.

Doris Rice, The Quilting Queen said...

Oh wow girlfriend! You've hit it out of the park again. That is fabulous! Sure wish I were there to see it in person!

Ella and Nesta said...

This is stunning! Just my kind of quilt. Great job and thanks for the tip.

Ella and Nesta said...

This is stunning! Just my kind of quilt. Great job and thanks for the tip.

MalinisQuilts said...

This is looking awesome! The deer quilt is just super amazing! <3 <3

Carla said...

Vickie, I love this so much. I just keep coming back to look at it. I may need to order a pattern. It's so stunning.

Thearica said...

I just keep coming back here. LOVE this!

CountryMum said...

This is absolutely stunning!! You are so very clever.

Lorna McMahon said...

Yes! I am so happy to see you have found your calling in quilting. These collage quilts you are making are absolutely stunning and I am also thrilled to read that you are now designing your own patterns for these. Well done, Vickie!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Your work is stunning Vickie!