Saturday, November 22, 2014

Brown Bag Exchange

 Back in September the ladies in my quilt guild who wanted to participate, brought 5 fat quarters, put them in a brown paper bag, (no names), we numbered the bags,....drew numbers and you picked up the bag with your number on it. You had 2 months to make your person a completed project out of the fat quarters they put in their bag. You could add more fabric to it if you wanted too, but you HAD to use their FQ's.
This is what I was blessed with ! My sweet friend Doniene made me this table topper/wall hanging from the FQ's I put in my bag and those pumpkins with the wonderful scent of cinnamon and cloves. 
The topper is hand and machine quilted, needle turn appliqued and embroidered. The card inside the bag said she prayed for my family and me while she stitched. There is a picture of us exchanging, but I was crying and didn't want you to have to look at it. If you want to see more of the exchanges from that day, your welcome to click HERE

 I drew Wanda's name and made her this table runner and little Edyta Sitar pin cushion from the FQ's she put in her bag.   How do you fix shut eyes ?
 (It's the only picture of the table runner....otherwise...)
These flowers and card are from "The Little Cowboy" and his parents. 
The perfect center piece for our Thanksgiving table.  

16 comments:

Ranch Wife said...

I would have cried too! That Doniene is one talented, gracious, beautiful, and very generous lady! And the same can be said of you!

Jeanie said...

I like the idea your swap. Your little hanging is really special, as well as the runner that you made. I'll bet just about everyone's eyes were a bit misty.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

That is very cool. Love your quilt guilds website and how often they publish is great! Love your gifts that you received.

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a wonderful gift! I can understand why you would cry - I would have too! blessings, marlene

Carol said...

Such a sweet idea!

Doniene said...

It was totally my pleasure!

What beautiful flowers from that little cowboy!

Blessings sweet friend!

Suze said...

I cried when I read your post. I signed up for two hops this week which means I'm doing much better to even consider them. I signed up to do my first Tammy bag(s). From what I understand I'll be hooked and do more than one. I also signed up for the support hop since I'm a breast cancer survivor. I'm not big into naming things except children and animals. Today I was thinking about you and sewing when I was thinking about hops. I was thinking about my Viking sewing machine and decided I would name her Vickie for my TX sewing friend Vickie. That sounded like a good reason, so after 9 years, she is officially Vickie. The Little Cowboy has great taste and loves his Grammie, too. -knows of the surrounding love!!!! Blessings to you and all yours!

Carla said...

What a beautiful idea. Lot's of heart went into the gift you received, you can just feel it from your picture and description. Your lady is very pretty and I have to admit when I saw the picture I giggled. Sorry, friend. You are a beauty even when caught off guard. Your runner is very pretty and I bet she loves it.

Kath said...

how lovely, you are truly blessed and I love what you made for your partner too.

KaHolly said...

I didn't cry, but it did bring tears to my eyes!! Just lovely. Your table runner for Wanda is just as lovely. No wonder she has such a smile on her face. What a fun idea!

Cindy said...

Both of the little quilts are wonderful. So nice to see guild members put their hearts into swaps like this. Special.

Doris Rice said...

The brown bag challenge was a wonderful idea. I'm sorry I didn't participate but bad timing and I didn't want to disappoint anyone. What a sweet note and flowers for a very special Grammie! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your precious family!

the girlfriend gap said...

Vickie, You are Loved :). I was so touched by your gift and all the love she put into it. Your gift to your friend also shows a deep expression of love. When you add love it is hard not to create something beautiful. Once again you are blessing your world with the love of Christ in you. Your guild must be a wonderful group of women blessing each other. Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful to have you as a new sewing friend. :)
Your sweet Sewing Sister in Christ,
Janita

Raewyn said...

So precious Vickie. I went to the Brownwood blog and loved seeing all the pictures and especially those of my dear friend Doniene and of course you too, now that I 'know' you. You and Doniene are both such talented ladies.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Such cute projects, both made and received. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Sherrill said...

I came over from Doniene's blog to see the challenge and what she'd made. Gorgeous and love what you made as well. That beautiful quilt in your header..the red with white stars. FANTABULOUS!! Was that a pattern? Would be a beautiful Christmas quilt. Merry Christmas!