Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wild Ranch Monday

 This past Monday, this ranch girl, went to Abilene,Texas, to do Pat Sloan's "Wild and Free" Workshop  with the Abilene Quilter's Guild . 
 It said wild, so I did WILD !  wild for me anyway. The wall hanging behind us is the one we made... of course I still have to put all the applique on it, where and how........ well, I haven't quite got that part figured out yet.......BUT I WILL ! 
It was a fun thing to go and do...all by myself. I got up very early and drove 80 miles to walk into a room full of women I didn't know, with the exception of two slight acquaintances.
 That's called "wanting to do something bad enough to FACE YOUR FEARS ".  
You might think I'm a social butterfly, but I'm really a bit shy. 

The workshop was over at 3:00 in the afternoon, so I had to hang out in Abilene for 4 hours until the lecture started at 7:00 that night..............so I went shopping (darn the bad luck ) wink.
My friends, Sherri and Angela drove up that night for the lecture.
Pat is a very nice, personable lady and I totally enjoyed meeting her and listening to her expert advice.

Side note: I took my workshop piece to my guild meeting yesterday for "show & tell" and they looked at it much like this .....

Have a blessed day !

  

10 comments:

Carol said...

LOL, love that pic of Lucy! I can't wait to see your wild project finished...I'm sure it will be as wonderful as all your other masterpieces. I need to be more brave to venture out for things like this. Very cool that you did it!

Jeanie said...

Bravo for stepping out of your comfort zone..... it was surely worth it! Looking forward to the finish of this quilt.

Shari said...

Good for you! Personal thoughts....turn it longer side left to right (ie so butterfly is upright) and it really looks like a flag...very cool! If nothing else, it might make Lucy angle her pretty head to the right instead. LOL Some pieces just have to grow on you...and if not, Mozart just got hisself a quilt...xox

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great job and huge high five for really stepping out of your comfort zone. I am right along there with you. LOL the Lucy look I think a lot of the ladies in my guild are much more traditional too.

Carla said...

You go girl. I will see a lot of that Lucy look this weekend at our county fair. Those ladies just don't "get" me. I keep trying though. I'm sure your quilt will be a beauty once you figure out that applique stuff..lol I'm so proud of you for putting yourself out there.

shaulap said...

It was a great quilting day and I love the way your background turned out! It will be fun to see the applique added to it. Can't wait to hear what your guild thinks when they see the finished product! It was interesting to look behind Pat's quilts and analyze the background fabrics... which was, of course, the whole point of the workshop! So glad you made the trip to Abilene, do come again! Shaula

Lisa said...

Fun, fun, fun, good for you! I meet Alex the thread man on Sat in a quilt shop 4 hours away! I really want to go but it is so much easier talking on the internet. I don't have to worry about saying something really stupid. Face my own fears. Thank you for sharing getting out of your comfort zone. I am so happy you had a great time. Pat is one my hope to meet sometime! Some of her appliqué is almost as amazing as yours. Hope you had fun at Sisters.

KaHolly said...

The Abilene quilters are an awesome bunch. Glad you had such a good time.

Nathalie said...

I love the fact that your background is so bold. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Don't worry about the Lucy look. I have been getting that look most of my life, but my guild has kind of gotten past the look and just shake their head at me and my projects. I would have loved to have met you in Abilene for that workshop. What a fun time.

Mara said...

I don't think it's that bad, but I love purple and butterflies.