Monday, April 21, 2014

Ranch Monday

 Stop !
And pay close attention ! 
If you don't like snakes turn back now !
The picture of Ranch Nuisance is to keep you from having to look at a snake if you don't want to.

This is my poisonous snake story.
I was working in my flower beds last week after a rain and noticed some of my mulch had floated out the end of it. I have a pallet of rock down at the tractor shed, so I got in the pickup and went to get some. I was picking through the rock and stepped back to go around the other side of the pallet when I looked down... and by my feet...
 I saw the last half of a copper head slithering under that pallet of rock.
 It had to have been in the grass right behind me ! 

  
 First I froze, then I screamed, then I thanked God for protecting me, then I got back in the pickup to go up to the house to call Ranchman. (He and Shane our son, were 60 miles away working calves) He didn't answer, so I called Shane and told him how big it was and that he should thank God that he still has a Mother who didn't die of a snake bite or heart attack. 
He said "Oh Mom, it probably just looked big, I'll see if I can find it when we get back". 


When they got back, Ranchman got in the tractor so he could slide the forks in under the pallet to lift it up and Shane was on the ground with a shovel. Up came the pallet....no snake under it...then all of a sudden it fell out of the pallet which was 5 foot up in the air. 

My Heroes saved the day ! 
We didn't measure it, but here it is laying over the front tire of a 44/40 John Deer. 
Shane said "That was a big snake Mom".
 Ranchman said "I'm sure glad it didn't get my cook" !  

It's a beautiful color, but oh so poisonous !
Since it's getting warm.... humans aren't the only ones coming out of hibernation !
I'll leave you with a better image of something else that I found on the ranch last week. 
Indian paintbrush, my favorite flower.
Have a blessed day !
    

14 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Copperheads scare me! We had a friend get bitten on the ankle a couple of years ago and it was months and months before he healed completely. I haven't seen Indian Paintbrush before - isn't it lovely! You have a new picture on your profile - or have I just missed it? Beautiful! blessings, marlene

Amy said...

You gave me the chills this morning. We have bull snakes that hang out around the place, not poisonous. (Thank goodness). So glad it didn't get you. God is always looking out for us, saving us from dangers we are totally unaware of. ;)

Shari said...

Wow! Sure glad we don't have any poisonous snakes here! and even more importantly so glad you are still where you are...and without any extra holes ;) Pretty flower...little camp nuisance is looking pretty cute too!

Mary said...

I do not like snakes...so glad you're okay!

InGa said...

Oh, I would have screamed, I'm afraid of those as well.!!!!
Thanks that nothing happend.
Do you have a new doggie?
Hope you had a better day after this shock...

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Eww that is one big snake. I don't think I have ever seen a copperhead. I grew up where there were King snakes and rattle snakes. One time there was a rattle snake which was alfalfa green. Love the picture of the Indian Paintbrush, haven't seen it in years.

Bonnie said...

I haven't ever seen a copperhead. So glad you weren't bitten. It is just starting to warm up here in Iowa and our snakes are starting to come out. We have a big concrete step on the south side of the house that has a large crack in it. Every year we have corn snakes that hibernate in the step. Yesterday I picked up the welcome mat and there were 4. (We have the step blocked off so no one steps on the snakes.) Last year the ranger from the state park came and got 6 for their nature center. There are usually between 20 and 30 there. We only see them for about a week when it starts to get warm. Never see them coming or going. They are not poisonous, but are very similar in color to your copperhead.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I stepped right over a small one, coming home from a date back in high school. The porch light was not on, or I would have seen it. I beat that thing so bad, that I cracked the concrete with the shovel.

Rachaeldaisy said...

OEEEWW!! Scary!!! I'm SO glad you're okay!! We have poisoness snakes here too so I know how frightening it can be. I think Copperheads are more poisoness though. We have spiders too and I saw a super deadly one when I went to put the washing on recently, I'm glad I saw it in time.

Carol said...

The snake is very pretty, but the flowers are less dangerous so stick with them and stay away from the snake. You are one lucky lady!

Pickles Quilting said...

WOW! I'm so glad that it didn't bite you! Every time I see a snake I do the same thing you did: 1.) Freeze in place, 2.) Scream, 3.) Back away slowly, 4.) Call my husband to kill it. ;) -Brittany

Kathleen OGrady said...

How terribly frightening! I DO NOT like snakes at all. We don't have all the poisonous ones that you have but we do have rattlesnakes. Nasty creatures! Glad your story had a happy ending!

Jennifer Gail said...

I would have done something stupid like jump straight up and down then froze. Thanks for the warning. LOL Pretty flowers:)

SIMPLESEW said...

OMG, I am so so glad you werent hurt, it was a "pretty snake" .. thats a close encounter. xoxo, We had the kids at the park, and Darn if we didnt come across the largest Water Moccasin I ever seen,, It had to be atleast 5 ft long.. I screamed at the 5 grandkids and PawPa, "Get Back" We had Sheba with us our sheltie and she would attack it.. I wanted everyone to see it from a safe distance.. So I threw a Disani water bottle at him. He didnt even move. So, we went back to the swings.. LOL.. Did you get your flower beds done, I think about you everytime I see my Texas Sage,its coming back this year. Were having more grandbabies #9 now, 10 being planned, So I have been SUPER DUPER busy...