Sunday, February 22, 2015

QuiltCon 2015

I got to go to QuiltCon ! Yippee !
I had been looking soooo forward to it....woke up Friday morning at 3:00 am....
sore throat, feeling rather crappy ! Going anyhow ! 
2 car loads of us drove to Leander, Texas and got on the Austin MetroRail to downtown.
It dropped us off right in the door of the Austin Convention Center. 
My first time to ever ride a train !....To my first ever modern quilt show !
Awesome !
I'll just show you a couple of my favorite quilts. QuiltCon quilts will probably be posted all over the internet for a while so you'll get to see what was there without me showing you all of my pictures.
 Lost and Found in Translation by Victoria Findlay Wolfe
It was probably my favorite of all. I sat in on one of her lectures about curved piecing and learned several tips that make it easy.  I missed her new book signing (waiting to be seated at a Mexican restaurant) so I'll have to order one, not because I have plans to make a double wedding ring any time soon, I just really like her style.
 Loved this one ! 
Forgot to take a picture of who made it.
I found the owner of this quilt while reading blogs: The Quilting Edge 

 Face #1 by Melissa Avenrinos
It won a Judge's choice ribbon. 

My friend Angela and I with sweet Jenny. 
Riding the train back to Leander. I was  ready to go home.
Next quilt show....Dallas Quilt Celebration !
I'll be there Friday, March 13th.
Be blessed today.



16 comments:

Carla said...

I wanted to go, so bad. Wow, what great quilts. It looks like such a fun time. Wish I could have met you there. Maybe next time... I can't wait to see your next quilt that is inspired from this show!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Looks like fun Vickie, especially riding the train!. I got to go to the AQS show here in Albuquerque in Jan. with a friend and it was fun. I took hundreds of photos!!! But never went to a modern quilt show before. Living in Texas, you must see a lot of quilt shows, especially the biggest in Houston. I haven't been to Houston yet though, have you? I think I would be on quilting overload there, LOL!!!

KaHolly said...

Oh, Vickie, I wish I'd known you'd be there on Friday, too. Who knows how many times our paths crossed and we didn't even know it! Glad you had fun, too!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Lucky You!!! I would love to go, one day... Thank you for sharing your favourite quilts. That face is amazing, it looks as though it might start talking at any moment.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Gorgeous quilts. Thanks for sharing them with us.

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a fun day! The quilts are certainly very interesting - I don't think I'm enough of an artist to do that. I follow patterns very well but designing...not so much. I hope you're feeling better! blessings, marlene

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

So glad you got to attend. My friend and I went on Thursday. It was an interesting event. I took a few photos too... have not posted anything yet. We had a great time shopping... lots of cool stuff.

Jeanie said...

What fun! I followed it on Instagram and saw so many wonderful quilts. My SIL lives in Austin and she went yesterday. She loved it, of course.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry you missed Victoria. She's a sweetie!

Thearica said...

That would have been my favorite quilt too! Love how the wedding ring just scopes the side like that!

I am going to the AQS show in June. A friend is coming from Mass. and riding with me to Alabama to pick up my granddaughter. We are going to make a side trip to Arkansas to stay with a friend for 3 days and go to the show. I am super excited! It will be my first AQS show.

MalinisQuilts said...

Thank you for sharing the pics! Face#1 by Melissa Avenrinos was one of my favorite quilts.

Glad that you and your friend got to meet Jenny. I would like to meet her one day too.
thanks for sharing!

Britt-Inger said...

Oh Quilt Con I surely have wanted to go, but it´s a long journey for so short time. Thank you for sharing your pictures and your story,

Carol said...

Looks like such a fun trip! I need to do this sometime...maybe next year!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Oh! I'm touched! Thank you for liking my quilt! in fact, you selected MY three Favorite quilts too! ;-)

Lorna McMahon said...

What a fun time! I can hardly believe it was your first time riding on a train. Looks like you had a wonderful time. So happy you were able to make the trip. Hope you are feeling much better!

the girlfriend gap said...

Victoria inspires me too. And you got to meet Jenny :) She is coming to a quilt show near me this Sat. Still trying to decide if I "need" to go! ( just say, Yes of Course I "need" to go ) Wishing you the best of days. I'll be cooking all day. We are having a baked potato supper at Church tonight.

Your sweet Sewing Sister in Christ,
Janita