Monday, June 30, 2014

Ranch Monday

Guess what I'm doing on the ranch today .......

When we got home from South Dakota last Wednesday this is what I found.... Peaches, peaches, peaches !
My goodness how they grew in only 1 week. There is another big pan full inside the house. Since they are already pretty ripe, I'm going to freeze them for pies, cobblers, smoothies and ice cream.
 I think if I were to can them they would be too mushy.
This little ole tree is about to break from all the peaches.................and

.............this one only has 5 on it.
 The buds froze last March....we had  nice warm weather, then a week of freezing cold came through. 
Why it got this tree and not the other.... is anybody's guess. 

 My black eyed peas are coming on and I should be able to pick at the end of the week. I'll be canning these. In the front is okra, then green beans, then black eyes.

 I have another row of black eyes way over on the other side of the garden. I split them up this year because they tend to spread and grow together....and I'm afraid to get in there and pick them....
snakes love shady wet places !
Since Ranchman killed a baby copperhead last week in the back yard, I'll have to be extra careful in the garden. I had just been mowing grass where he found it ! 
Thank you once again Lord Jesus for watching out for me.
You can read about one of my other snake experiences HERE 
  

I'm making a baby shower memory quilt.
The guests that came to the shower signed their name on a star....I will applique those on. 
They do these kind of memory quilts at weddings....so I thought ....why not a baby shower ?


I'm off to put up peaches !
Have a beautiful day and God bless you. 

11 comments:

Jeanie said...

That's quite a difference in those peach trees. I'll bet those ripe peaches are yummy! Love the signature stars on the baby quilt...clever idea!

Doniene said...

Glad you're back!! Ready to hear about your trip!! The frost got most of my peaches - but yours look scrumptious!!

Blessings and hugs

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Black eyed peas, fried okra and homemade peach ice cream! What time is supper? Stay away from those pesky snakes!!!!!

Carla said...

So much yumminess coming from the ranch today. Mother nature is so crazy sometimes and your peaches can attest to that. What a great idea to do the memory patches for the baby shower. That quilt will be so full of love. Love the adorable cake (s)!

Mdm Samm said...

peaches already...wow....we are so pleased to get strawberries today..peaches won't be here till august....
your garden pics are luscious

Rachaeldaisy said...

That peach tree looks as pretty as a picture!! You'll be very busy in the kitchen with all the peaches and beans. I love the way the baby shower cake matches your quilt. It's such a wonderful idea to make it a signature quilt!!

KaHolly said...

I just love that little ranch quilt. What an awesome idea to personalize it with signed stars!! Have a peachy day!

Josie McRazie said...

Oh how bout some yummy peach chutney on toast!!! Mmmmm

Thearica said...

The baby quilt is adorable! and those peaches look yummy!

When Allie was born I did a baby quilt with photos of Audrey when she was an infant on it. Audrey loved it when she unwrapped it. I also bought one of those little doggies you sign at graduation for Parker when he turned a year old. heather loved the idea of everyone signing it who came to the party.

Amy said...

Wish we had a peach tree. I have the best recipe we tried for the fourth for peach upside down cake. It was so yummy. Your grandbaby quilt is adorable. Such a cute idea to add a signature to each star.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Obviously I have been lost in the ether! Oh I need some peaches. They look yummy. Between making jam for DH and maybe some for making cobbler I could go through a bunch. I need to add a couple of peach trees to my orchard. Maybe next year.